Sakhile Nkambule: The man behind the Hipnotik Festival

This weekend brings the unmissable Hipnotik Music Festival, which attracts Hip Hop heads from all over Southern Africa. This year's lineup is off the hinges as usual, and the likes of Cassper Nyovest, Reason, AKA, Da L.E.S., Kwesta, among others will grace the festival.

What better way to kickstart the countdown to the show, than bring you an interview of Hipnotik's founder, the suave Sakhile Nkambule.

Seeing as he's a busy man these days, we didn't want to get him off the rails so we bring you an interview he did with the splendid Sibebe Premium Lager team:

Sibebe: Tell us about Sakhile; what you do and how you started up...
Sakhile: I have very big dreams. When I was 16 and still schooling at Waterford, I discovered my passion for graphic design. As it was a diverse community of students, I wanted to show that us too, as Swazis, had something to be proud about. I wanted to create something Swazi, which was dope and inspired by music. The first time I realised how much my work was appreciated was when I received my first order for 60 T-shirts with a picture of Africa with ‘play, pause, stop’ symbols inside of it. It instilled a sense of independence and entrepreneurship within me. I believe as Swazi artists, you need to be taken seriously first, and grow and understand what value is about.

Sibebe: Where did the name and business Swazi Jive stem from?
Sakhile: I already knew that I wanted to incorporate the word Swazi into the name of my brand, so when finding the official name it, I opened the dictionary and decided I was going to look for the first word that spoke back to me about music… and it was jive. Hence Swazi Jive. I love how people express themselves through music. I wanted to build a lifestyle that people could relate to. I dream of building something of international standard.

Sibebe: How old were you when you realised you loved music?
Sakhile: I was 9! I really loved Kwaito. I think my favourite song was by Magesh.

What is your favourite genre of music?
I like all genres of music, but if I must choose, it is hip-hop!

Can you sing or play any instruments?
Nope, I can’t sing, but I can play the bass guitar.

What does music mean to you?
It means freedom… just like money.

You’ve been in the music industry in Swaziland for a few years now. What difference have you noted between then and now?
Sho, it’s been about 6 years. In 2008 I started doing shows as there wasn’t much value in Swazi music, and that needed to change. We expected the government and ministry departments to fund us, but this proved difficult as they did not see the value of it. Hipnotik 2014 is going to be the 12th show that we’ve hosted. It's been gaining momentum since its inception. We need to accept that WE are the industry and we need to create our own platform. We need to work together and know that we are headed in the right direction. The entertainment and music industry has the potential to self sustain in Swaziland. 

Sibebe: Why Hipnotik?
Sakhile: I love hip-hop, and wanted to create a platform where both local and international artists could perform. I like taking risks and wanted to create something different. Also, I’d like the youth to appreciate what we can produce and achieve.

How do you think you’ve contributed to the music scene in Swaziland?
Personally, I’ve given a lot of people hope. I pray for God to give me the strength to inspire. Independence in our country is possible. 

How do you think music could grow in Swaziland? 
It could grow when people start studying it. Artists need to take themselves seriously and they need to get paid adequately for their art. Payment in Swaziland needs to be improved too.

What do you do to unwind? 
I love to travel. The best place I’ve been to has to be California!

Describe your happiest moment.
I’ve had so many happy moments – I’m a happy guy! I take pride in my achievements. My family, friends and girlfriend make me happy. 

Describe yourself in 3 words...
Immaculate, confident and chilled.

Who is your favourite musician, either locally or internationally?
Michael Jackson – he is timeless. 

What are your plans for the next 5 years?
I’d like to expand my business and have one of the biggest record labels in Southern Africa. And be financially free, although I’m already a millionaire spiritually! God is everything to me.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
  • #Hipnotik2014 Tickets are almost sold out. Pre-sale will end Thursday at 5pm but you can still pay at the gate on Saturday.
  • Gates open 6pm on Saturday at Greyhound (El Paradiso). Get there early to avoid traffic.
  • All VIP Guests are invited to the VIP After party & Worldcup final screening on Sunday,6pm at Sibane Hotel. You will get a chance to meet your favourite artists from the show.
If you haven't bought your ticket by now, you might just be left out. The tickets are flying off the shelf!

Follow us on Twitter @swazistylescene, Find us on Facebook, Email us swazidivas@yahoo.com. Tag us on Instagram #SwaziScene. We want to hear from you!

Comments