What I Wish Someone Told Me About Having Sex (Safe Sex)



A few things get our attention...and THIS HERE is one of them. This is something you need to share with your child, your sister, your cousin, your neighbour's child, your niece, your.... every child that crosses your path. 

This is the type of spoken word that should be shown in schools, churches, youth clubs etc. The young ones MUST KNOW.

It is by poet Daysha Veronica and here are the words and a video of the full poem below:


I thought I knew everything there was to know about having safe sex;
always carry a condom and never ever get pregnant.
But I guess what I needed more than a dental dam
was a mental dam
because I just can’t stop thinking about you.
People love to talk about how to avoid STI’s of the physical kind,
but nobody likes to talk about the STI’s that can destroy your mind.
The ones that can have you tossing and turning at 3 am,
racking your brain, and constantly wondering “was I not good enough for him?”
“Was this just supposed to be a one time thing?”
Or my favorite one, “how could I be so stupid enough to let him in?”
My sister always told me that my body was a temple.
So never let a person in that doesn’t take the proper time to worship you
because you are a goddess that is truly worth sacrificing for.
And I only wish that I had taken the time to listen to her
more often.
But instead, I choose to listen to you.
And that would have been ok
if it weren’t for the fact that your love for me was untrue,
because you liked someone else when you said that you liked me too.
Then deception turned into a matter of perception,
and everything started to feel like 50 questions
except at the end of the day
I was still left guessing,
and this asshole kept testing
my patience.
But my mama said, “patience is a virtue,”
and you said, “baby, I’d never want to hurt you”
but you did.
You fucked me over,
and left my brain impregnated with your bastard babies
called memories.
It was all fun and games when I let you up in me,
but now you won’t even take joint custody.
It took all but two texts to get you through my door,
but let me text you about some child support;
just an honest why…
Because I will never let myself be reduced to some 2 am whore
creeping out of windows, and sneaking through back doors.
I will never let myself be reduced to some side chick;
just another side dish at the kitchen table for you to pick at
while you wait for your main entrée;
to just being your other bitch.
I am a person.
I have feelings and emotions that have a right to be protected.
And just having a vagina and two tits
should not make me any less deserving of your time
or someone to be disrespected.
So if you are going to choose to be with her over me…
Well I guess you have to do what’s best then.
I guess I just wish that we had used
both mental and physical protection,
and taken the time to have a conversation
about what this all really meant
before we had sex.


WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW for the rest of the poem:

 

For more Daysha Veronica poems, check out her Tumbler here

Follow us on Twitter @swazistylescene, Find us on Facebook, Email us swazidivas@yahoo.com. Tag us on Instagram #SwaziScene. We want to hear from you!

Comments