ZANDILE'S STORY: At 17, she was diagnosed HIV POSITIVE but she follows her DREAM.

With U.S. Ambassador to South Africa Patrick Gaspard
Under normal circumstances after learning about ones HIV+ status, it seems easier to shut the world and its content out. 

At 17 years of age living and studying in a small town called Sidvokodvo in Swaziland, I tested positive for the Human Immuno-deficiency Virus. Personally I have chosen to close the chapter of that race and its details as I won it, first place at that. 



Taking a selfie with Luis Loures - Deputy Executive Director UNAIDS 
Testing positive for HIV at 17 years old taught me to have a voice, to share my story and in doing so contributing my 1% effort in reducing the 2400 new infections every week. 

I think what terrified me the most was the proliferating numbers. My role, I have since learnt, is not as easy as a stroll in the mall which granted I can easily achieve any day. 

Women possess great strength and often ‘obstacles’ such as testing positive, teen pregnancy, substance abuse and stigma become a bearer to conquering life itself. I aim to:  
  • Emphasize the importance of being cautious, preventing themselves from contracting the virus
  • Remind women that they too have a voice 
  • Emphasize the use of health facilities for advice on the precautions to be taken and options available. 
  • Contribute to fighting stigma, discrimination by being vocal about the virus as well as all social issues that affect our young society. 

In my journey I have been fortunate to be granted the platform to share my 1% through the US Embassy and PEPFAR’s (Presidents Emergency Program for Aids Relief) D.R.E.A.M.S initiative also supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, South African Government and Girl Effect. 

DREAMS aims to stem the scourge in new HIV infections every week of 2400 adolescent girls and young women in South Africa. The goal of DREAMS is to help girls develop into “Determined, Resilient, Empowered, Aids free, Mentored and Safe women.” 

With similar objectives, my journey with PEPFAR and the DREAMS initiative is on a treadmill as we strive for an HIV/AIDS free generation. 



My name is Zandile Simelane, this is my story.


Do you also want to share your empowerment story? Email us swazidivas@yahoo.com 

Follow us on Twitter @swazistylescene, Find us on FacebookTag us on Instagram #SwaziScene. We want to hear from you!

Comments